Good morning lovelies,
Today’s Top Wedding Tips hardly needs an introduction. Wedding planner Melanie from Cranberry Blue Weddings takes her time to explain the difference between a wedding coordinator and a wedding planner. In fact, this post originally appeared on her blog a few weeks back, but just a few days later I came across yet another bride-to-be who told me that she hired a specific venue because of the added benefit of having an on site wedding coordinator. ‘Great’, I said; but at the back of my mind I couldn’t help but wondering if she did actually understand the difference between a coordinator and a wedding planner.
I’ll leave it to Melanie to explain in more detail:
If I had a pound for every time a heard a bride say ‘My venue has a Wedding Co-ordinator so I don’t need a Wedding Planner’ then I would be a pretty wealthy woman… To a wedding planner, having an excellent wedding coordinator at the venue is vital as it means we can focus on managing the day as a whole, over-seeing all the tiny details, being on hand to attend to the bride and groom and solve any problems that may arise. I therefore don’t want this article to come across as negative to venue wedding coordinators, but I simply wish to highlight the difference between the 2 roles so that you can make an informed decision as to what is right for you.
1. Depending on the type of service you have might chosen with a wedding planner, we’re likely to have planned the majority, if not all of your wedding, from sourcing suppliers to creating the design concept, planning the schedule of the day and ensuring every last detail is in place. We know the ins and outs of your wedding to the same level of detail (if not more) as you do, so are best equipped to be there on the day to manage it, so you can just relax and enjoy yourself.
2. Most venues have a recommended supplier list, some of which may operate on a commission basis where the supplier either has to pay the venue a percentage if they’re booked, or they’ve to pay to be on that list. This doesn’t guarantee that they are of a certain quality… A wedding planner, on the other hand, has spent years building up close relationships with high calibre suppliers so they can reply on them to deliver 100%. We have a wide range of different people that we work with, that all offer something different in terms of style and price to ensure they are exactly what you are looking for.
3. Given these close relationships, wedding planners also have pre-negotiated rates in many cases, or if not then we will always negotiate hard on your behalf and pass that discount directly onto you. Venues can on the flip side make a commission from you using certain suppliers and it’s not in their interest to negotiate a saving for you.
4. A good wedding planner will always strive to make each wedding they plan unique and tailor-made, whereas venues generally like to keep to a similar format that works for them.
5. With so many elements that go into planning a wedding, a wedding coordinator will help with specific details on the day but won’t manage the entire process.
6. Most wedding planners offer a separate ‘On the Day Management’ service which is perfect for some couples who are happy to plan their wedding themselves.
Image via Fan Pop
As an aside, rest assured we bear no similarity to Jennifer Lopez in ‘The Wedding Planner’ so will not wear a head set whilst working or try to steal your husband, and you’ll be pleased to hear that we also won’t suggest having swans in your back garden (unless of course you particularly want them!)
So before you dismiss using the services of a wedding planner, either to plan the whole event or to just be there on the day itself, it might just be worth thinking about investing a relatively small amount of money to ensure your day is even better than you could have expected.
Thank you so much Melanie for allowing me to feature this really informative post.
I hope you lovely couples have found this useful. If you need any more advice on the services of a wedding planner or if you have any questions, feel free to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Melanie directly (email@example.com).
Have a great weekend,
Info on Cranberry Blue Weddings and Events: Cranberry Blue Weddings & Events is a boutique wedding planning consultancy that specialises in creating beautiful bespoke weddings across the UK that reflect your personality and transform your ideas into reality. They can organise every conceivable aspect of your wedding but it depends entirely on your individual requirements. So whether you dream of a small, intimate celebration or a lavish one on a grand scale, Cranberry Blue Weddings can work with you to create a flawless and unforgettable day.